with an Agent
General Guidelines and Provisions, The Golden Rules
The Forum isn't run by rules, per se. Rather, it is moderated by a tight-knit group of moderators who have volunteered to put themselves in the position of making difficult judgment calls. Most of these Guidelines are geared towards just improving the state of the forum through smart tips (using good subject lines is just wise, ya know). Some of these Guidelines are more prohibitive, however, and they function as rules. The rules come in two-forms: the cardinal, and the compulsory.
- The Usage Agreement must be respected in full. If you need to refresh your memory, you can see the agreement here.
- No trolling. Don't make posts that are inflammatory just to get people riled up. Substance is a key to not being labeled a troll, but substance alone cannot prevent you from being considered a troll. Substance with a dash of personal attacks will get you labeled as a troll.
- Ad hominem and personal attacks are not permitted. Criticize the ideas, not the people. An ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy describing the attempt to discredit an argument by merely attacking the credibility of the arguer. Excessive flaming will not be tolerated. Users who verbally assault the character or person of other posters on a regular basis will be banned. Moderator's judgment applies here. "You are wrong" is not a personal attack; "You wrong because you are an idiot" probably. Persistent name-calling in the absence of content will likely be assessed as a violation of this rule.
- No pornographic, sexually offensive, sexually explicit, or objectifying material. Simple rule. Moderator's judgment applies here. We'd like for our readers to be able to read Ars at work and share with friends without fear of retribution.
- Do not post links or offers for sales, rentals or services.
- Respect the privacy of others. Do not post other's private phone numbers, addresses, pictures, etc., without their express permission.
- Abuse of editing privileges is not permitted. Editing posts for grammar or information is fantastic, but after an initial grace period of 10 minutes, users may not delete/edit content for the purpose of evading possible moderation (removing flames, trolls, etc.). Also, starting a thread, not liking how it turns out, and then deleting your own posts is irresponsible and unfair, and an actionable offense. It's simply not cool to troll users and then delete it, acting as if nothing has happened.
- Each forum member may have only one account
- Each forum member must maintain and provide a current, frequently read e-mail address in his/her internal profile. Note that non-moderators do not have access to your internal e-mail address (which is separate from "Display e-mail")
- Do not place foul language in thread subjects
- And of course, NO SPAMMING, commercial-oriented posts, and no flooding with useless content or content designed to engage readers into forum wars or trolling other sites
- Use descriptive subject lines and research your post. This reduces the chances of double-posting, and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Also, scan the subjects of the last several days' posts to make sure you aren't duplicating posts.
- Post in the right forum! If it's about Steamboat in general, post it in the Steamboat forum. If it's about lodging, post it in the Steamboat lodging forum. If it's about the website, post it in Updates to Steamboat.com.
- Restrict the use of excessive foul language. Although we don't really care if people cuss (um, we have been known to cuss ourselves now and again), excessive foul language is likely to get moderated, if only because excessive foul language usually indicates that someone is utterly clueless. Buy a thesaurus. We also require that you leave rough or offensive language out of the thread subjects. A lot of people read the OpenForum at work, and while foul language is par for the course, let's try and keep it away from the big, yellow, eye-catching folders. :-)
- No blatantly juvenile toilet humor. Simple rule. Moderator's judgment applies here. Talk about what you do to relieve yourself, although popular (for some odd reason) is not needed here.
Finally, remember that we're not the ratings board here. We're not going to give you a PG for four swears and a gunshot, but R for five swears and splattering brains. Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves. Bottom line: we almost always give warnings. But we don't give them twice to the same person.
Steamboat Forums - Titles and descriptions
- Ski Steamboat - Steamboat general forum.
- Steamboat Lodging - General forum for Steamboat lodging/accomodations
- Updates to Steamboat.com - Forum about steamboat.com and forum updates
The Coca-Cola Company enjoys being the Official Soft Drink Sponsor to Steamboat and is honored to have the opportunity. Coca-Cola® offers the complete beverage experience while you are hard at work out on the slopes.
KIND makes healthy, delicious snacks with ingredients you can see and pronounce. We use high quality, nutrient-rich, whole ingredients –like whole nuts and whole grains – flavored with a variety of fruits and spices.
At Monster we choose to support the scene, our bands, our athletes and our fans. Led by our athletes, musicians, employees, distributors, partners and fans, Monster is...A lifestyle in a can.
Allow us to introduce ourselves. We’re noosa, and we make yoghurt, but not just any yoghurt. Ours is thick and velvety. Sweet and tart. It’s a labor of love made in the best state ever, Colorado.
Anheuser-Busch is proud to support Steamboat Ski Resort by providing adult consumers with a diverse portfolio of beer brands that reflect the company's commitment to quality, heritage and innovation.
Korbel is Steamboat Ski Resort's Official Champagne Powder® partner and is proud to support Steamboat as the presenting sponsor of the 50th Anniversary Celebration.
A little bit of honey. A whole lot of Jack. Fly Straight. Drink Responsibly.
Nothing can compare to SmartWool for the ultimate in performance, comfort and easy care. SmartWool is superior at vaporizing moisture, controlling temperature and odor, and is guaranteed not to itch or shrink.
GoPro makes the world’s most versatile cameras, enabling people to capture immersive and engaging footage of themselves during their favorite activities.
Vasque is proud to be outfitting Steamboat Ski & Resort with technical, outdoor performance footwear. Vasque is built for all day comfort on the trail, whether it is covered with snow, rock or dirt. Visit the Vasque website (vasque.com).
IT DOES SO MUCH MORE THAN BUY THINGS - The American Express® Card rewards. It protects. It offers one-of-a-kind-experiences. And your Card is a powerful financial tool.
Created to celebrate the diversity of California's wine growing regions; Robert Mondavi Private Selection wines are sourced from vineyards ideally suited for each variety, resulting in quality wines that go elegantly and easily to the table for every occasion.
For decades, the Wrangler® patch has stood for the authenticity that is the heart of the Western heritage. From the Official ProRodeo Competition Jean, and Steamboat's Signature Cowboy Downhill, Wrangler has your style.
With our commitment to the environment comes close cooperation with the US Forest Service.