How to ride a chairlift safely
Informative video for kids to learn how to get on and off the lifts.
Lift opening and closing times are subject to change without notice. Please review lift status for current information.
Kids on Lifts: TIPS FOR RESPONSIBLE LIFT USE
It’s YOUR Responsibility to know how to use and ride the lift safely.
- Ask the lift attendant for help if you need assistance. The smallest kids should load closest to the attendant.
- Do not use phones, music or games while loading or unloading.
- If you are not ready to slide out to wait for the chair when it is your turn, it is OK! Just stand and wait for the chair to go past and wait for the next one.
- When loading, watch for approaching chair and then sit and scoot all the way to the back of the chair once seated.
- Drop something? Let it FALL. Any item dropped can be picked up later.
- Absolutely NO horseplay on the lifts. This includes throwing snowballs and clicking your skis together to drop snow off them.
- Get prepared and be ready. Hold ski poles in one hand only. Remove backpack and hold in front of you. Check for loose clothing and equipment.
- Group up with friends or other riders before exiting the lift maze and proceeding to the loading point.
- Tell the lift operator before proceeding to the loading point if you would like the chair slowed. Inform the bottom operator if you need the chair slowed at the top as well.
- Line up with your group at the wait board and follow the chair in front of you to the load board as the chair is passing in front of you. Continue to the “load here” signs.
- Remember to keep your skis and board straight ahead and look behind you for the incoming chair.
- Sit back when the chair is right behind your knees.
- Scoot and pull yourself all the way into the chair so your back is fully touching the seat back. Think, the 4 B’s – BACK to BACK, BOTTOM to BOTTOM; communicate to the group if you want the comfort bar down.
Enjoy the ride! Talk to the fellow passengers about anything, but DO NOT:
- Horse around or throw things from the chair
- Turn around in the chair
- Get things out of your pockets or backpack
- Swing, rock, or bounce the chair
- When approaching terminal, talk to other passengers so they know the comfort bar is raising up. Shift back in the seat and move feet off of the footrest.
- Check for loose equipment. Keep your ski tips and front of board up.
- When you get to “unload here” signs, stand up and slide down ramp. Do not hold onto the chair.
- Continue down the ramp and move out of the way quickly so the next guests behind you have plenty of room to unload.
- If you fall while unloading, please stay down on the snow. This will help to avoid getting struck by the chair as the lift is slowing and/or stopping. The lift operators will be able to assist, as needed.
This is a partial list. It's your responsibility to always be safety conscious. To learn more, visit www.kidsonlifts.org.
|Lift Name||Lift Type||Vertical Rise||Minimum Riding Time|
|Bar-UE ||Double Chairlift ||1,380'||9:00 min |
|Bashor ||Double Chairlift ||315'||3:00 min|
|Burgess Creek||Triple Chairlift ||950' ||7:00 min|
|Christie Peak Express||Six-Person Chair||1,030' ||4:45 min|
|Christie III||Triple Chairlift||1,037' ||7:30 min|
|Elkhead||Quad Chairlift||710' ||2:30 min|
|Four Points||Triple Chairlift||1,366'||7:30 min|
|Gondola||High-Speed 8-Passenger||2,200'||9:00 MIN |
|Morningside||Triple Chairlift||542' ||6:00 MIN|
|Priest Creek (limited backup use only)||Double Chairlift||1,853'||10:30 MIN|
|Pony Express||High-Speed Quad||1,657'||5:20 MIN|
|Preview||Double Chairlift||60'||2:00 MIN|
|Rough Rider||Surface Lift||140'||3:00 MIN|
|South Peak||Triple Chair||340'||4:00 MIN|
|Storm Peak Express||High-Speed Quad||2,160'||7:00 MIN|
|Sundown Express||High-Speed Quad||1,936'||5:30 MIN|
|Sunshine Express||High-Speed Quad||1,300'||5:30 MIN|
|Thunderhead Express||High-Speed Quad ||1,638'||5:30 MIN|
Christie III and Priest Creek lifts operate based on skier traffic demand. Opening/closing times are subject to change without notice.