The Cardboard Classic, Steamboat's traditional rite of spring returns to the Steamboat Ski Area for the 38th year. This wild and hilarious race features homemade cardboard crafts, constructed only from cardboard, glue, string, water based paint, duct tape, masking tape, balloons and other decorations, racing down Stampede to a hysterical finish. The uniqueness and creativity of the race make it an event looked forward to each year.
• 9:00 - 10:00am: Registration & Check In (Participants must check in at the Coca-Cola Tent in Gondola Square or their spot will be released.)
• 10:00 - 11:00am: Cardboard D'Elegance/Judging
• 11:00am: 17 & under race begins followed by 18+ race
• Award Ceremony will follow the end of race
Crafts will be judged during the Cardboard D'Elegance from 10:00 - 11:00am. Awards will be presented for best representation of the following categories:
• Coca-Cola Classic
• Most Creative
• Best Individual Craft
• Best Reproduction
• Judge's Choice
• Best Costumes
• Crowd Favorite
• Best Engineering
• Registration will open in April.
Only items allowed for the cardboard crafts include: glue, string, cardboard, water-based paint, duct tape, masking tape, packing tape, balloons, and other decorations.
• No more than 6 people per craft.
• No children under 5 years of age allowed in crafts.
• No pets allowed in crafts.
• An adult must accompany children 5-10 years old
• Parents/or guardians must sign release forms for children 17 & under
• All event participants must have their bib/credential in order to be able to participate.
• No alcoholic beverages within the race arena – disqualification will be immediate.
Event registration and check-in is on April 14, 2018 at the Coca-Cola Tent in Gondola Square from 9:00 – 10:00am. Your team's $20 Entry Fee is due at this time (cash or check only). Once you have paid the event fee and signed waivers, you will receive your craft number. Participants 17 and under will need to have a parent or guardian sign their waiver form.
17 and under competition starts at 11:00am followed by 18+ competition. Participants will compete on a first come, first serve basis.